Saturday, January 13, 2007

Just a moment in my life...

Me, sitting at my computer, reading your blogs.

My daughter: Mom, I want a drink of water.

Me, not looking, still reading: "So? Get a drink of water."

Daughter: Sigh.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the lower lip start to poke out. I'm strong, and reading Enchanting Juno, so forget me turning into a serving maid any time soon. I take a sip of coffee, and my daughter gives a little cough. Mmm Hmm.

Daughter: Cough, cough.

Me: How's that drink going?

Daughter: I'm okay. Cough. Sigh. Cough.

Having lost my concentration, I look at my daughter. She's pale, possibly dehydrated, gasping for a sip of water. Some small effort on my behalf will prove yet again that I love this child more than, say, my computer, which I have been accused at bedtime of not doing. I get up to get her a glass, and tell myself I'm not raising helpless little people, I'm raising determined little people. This is a skill they will need when they grow up to be world leaders. Plus possibly there will be someone there to get them sips of water. I wouldn't want a stranger taking better care of my kids than I do, would I?

By the way, thank you, everyone, for your kind advice and acceptance of my little problem the other day. There were some very good suggestions that I can't wait to try out. I'm fairly sure I'll get the opportunity soon. And also possibly I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get the time stamp correct on these posts. I can only say that it is a very rare occasion that I post at 3:00 a.m., but you wouldn't assume that, so I have to tell ya.

1 comment:

AR said...

My kids like to say, "Can I go on the internet?" While I am sitting, typing on the computer. ???

I love that Lil' Arleta is tall enough to get her own glass for a drink now, and that Jordan can walk out to the kitchen. No more maid service from me, unless you're sick or hurt. It is good for them to do it themselves.