Monday, January 15, 2007

I fell off the edge...

... and to be honest, I didn't even know there was a cliff nearby. I visited my aunt's yarn shop this last weekend, and the plan was to use a gift certificate my mom had given me for Christmas. I walked in, and what did I see but a load of very pretty spindles, just like the ones my friend Arleta showed me one day. These had in-laid woods, and you could spin top or downside with them, which I thought was pretty cool. So I thought, well, I'll give it a spin (haha), and see if I like it. I bought two rovings, a practice one and a green one for when I got good. Oh, all you spinners out there are laughing your arses off. I hear you.

I loved this spindle so much. I didn't know I would. The traveling sock was ignored so totally I left it at my Grandma's. I spun thick and chunky, then broke it off and tried for thinner, then got too thin, then thought about two- and three-plies. Somewhere in this thought process, it occurred to me that someone should write a book about how to use a spindle. I mean, I didn't have anyone showing me or anything. I was probably doing 800 things wrong. And, if you know me at all, I am all about the books. When I found out I was pregnant, someone should have bought extra stock in Borders. When my daughter was suspected of OCD or also awfullism (no fun), more books were bought on-line. (Can't shop in person so well now that I have three of the little darlins)

So then I was checking out blogs yesterday, and happened upon the Knitterguy. Huzzah! He was talking about a book on handspinning! This was so appropriately timed that I know it was meant to be. I do not stand in the way of cosmic events, and I do not question very much if life seems to be leading me in a certain direction. I was meant to do this, and it all started when I was 13, and picked up my first skein of yarn. I am a happy girl. (Oh, and thanks, mom, for helping things along. You're wonderful.)

Plus also, I can let the younguns use the spindle, and that is quite enjoyable. I will take pictures as soon as I replace my digital camera, which got broken when one child got upset because the other was trying to take pics of her in her panties. I did NOT get upset at the child who slapped the camera to the floor. Now, sadness, I can't even show you the beautiful spindle I bought, or the chunky purple and red yarn I am spinning, or how much I am looking forward to washing it. Yes, my yarn is overtwisted. I don't have any training. But I'm spinning up that green as soon as possible for some knitted wrist warmers. Too, too fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're soo lucky your aunt owns a yarn shop!!! Toss me an email at graphicdesignchick at hotmail dot com (I forgot to mention for you to email me as well), so I can respond to you that way, rather than blog commenting!!

AR said...

Good! You can figure it all out and teach me. LOL.

Anonymous said...

And that is exactly why I don't pick up a spindle, touch a spinning wheel or attempt to weave. I can barely finish any knitting projects, my whole life would be one big WIP.

But awesome that you found the right book at the right time! Definitely fate.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Good luck with that. I have a couple of bags of dog hair that needs to be carded and spun. I did enjoy it and it probably would be better if I had a spindle, but I'm like Carrie K. I have enough WIPs and UFOs that if I threw away those bags it would be no big deal. Kinda like you and the round robin. Happy spinning :)

Marlene said...

Mwhahaha, welcome to the fold Carrie. Did we not tell you resistance was futile?

Your singles will always kink back on themselves and feel over spun until you either set them, or ply them.