Friday, June 01, 2007

The beginning of June is the last day of school!

It's the last day of school, and I can blog again. Cuz this summer won't be busy at all =) No, really, I'm looking forward to not having to shush outta the house by 7:30 in the morning. But right away there's t-ball and coach pitch and basketball camp. We like to enroll them in something at the college (How to be a Clown Class - fun!), and there's always the pool. But it's all enjoyable family stuff, and no one is quizzing them on the southwest region of the U.S. Oh, wait, that's not true... Poor little ducks, I always have study time every day, so they don't lose their skills. This year I got them journals, so they can do some journaling, and we'll have a crafting hour. See, if I sit and craft with them, they'll learn how to sit quietly and reflect, as they do something meditative. (Oh, wait, so will I - hee) We also have "Clean the House" hour, and Help Entertain Baby While Mom Makes Dinner time. But it's all charted and up on the wall, so they don't even argue about doing it. Because there's lots of free time, library time and pool time stuck in there, too. We really chart out every hour, and it makes the day go so much nicer. My kids really appreciate a schedule, I guess. And if we go to Grandma's, well, the schedule's out the window, except for the Help Mom With Dinner part.

Every once in awhile, I will suffer from bouts of insomnia. Usually, I wish for more time in the day, but when I'm awake in the middle of the night, I just stare at t.v. Anyhoo, lately I've been watching Dawson's Creek. It's a lot like eating Cheetos. I know it's not good for me, and I wouldn't really want to advertise that I do it a lot. But, gee, it's good 4:00 a.m. t.v. It's like remembering the teen and young 20's all over again, all that drama and desperate love. It's good that that goes away as you get older, because it's really hard to go through, but I'm a little nostalgic for it, too. Kids grow up quicker nowadays, and I'm really bracing myself for fourth grade through graduation. Kids were already pairing up at school this last year, and they're too young! I've got my eye on the situation, but I'm not sure how to fight youthful hormones. Gack.

Happy June! I'll have more blog reading time as the kids sleep in! Yay! I won't be sleeping in, though, because I'll be reading about y'all. We should do a little knitalong or something. Any suggestions? Leave them in the comments, and we'll see what we can come up with.

7 comments:

AR said...

Yay! School's Out! :)

We have to keep meeting for knitting, though.

How do you get the kids to sleep in? I need to learn that trick!

Jennifer said...

I've still got a couple of weeks of school here. And my kids won't ever sleep in. I'm bummed.

KAL ideas... I'd love to complete a lace shawl this summer.

Karen said...

Today is my daughters last day too. She is officially a senior!!!! How did that happen? No summer plans here, just working and knitting.

Anonymous said...

Wow--you guys get out early! We still have two weeks here, I think.

Happy summer!

Anonymous said...

Wow, we still have three weeks to go and my daughter is only in pre-school! I'm up for a knit-along and I'm with Jennifer. I haven't had the courage to knit a shawl, so that sounds like a great summer project.

Laura B said...

I have insomnia too, sometimes. It's the worst, isn't it? It's really weird the way your standards as far as good tv drop as the hour becomes later.

Anonymous said...

I love that you schedule your time, even during summer. I may have to borrow that because we have too many "call names & hit" hours. But yours sounds really productive. We do stuff, but I just don't schedule it.

I get nostalgic for TV, too at times. It's just nice to think about what you were doing what that particular show came on, you know?