Tuesday, June 12, 2007

If you are faint of heart, look away

It's summertime, and the living is ... problem-ridden. After an all-day trip to The Big City, trying to find basketball shoes for my girl with very narrow feet, much crying and frustration, we finally moved her up to women's sizes, and lo! Success. I hate shoe buying with my kids. It has been difficult from the very beginning, not the girl bonding experience I have always been led to believe in. So we came home, and my husband poured us both a glass of wine, and I sat down to play a little Webkinz, as a reward for driving all over town, as well as returning shoes that after two hours made my kid cry with pain. The salesman? Not so happy with us. But it's okay. Wine helps you forget sales people's glares, if applied adequately.

So I'm sitting down to my virtual pet, and I reach for my wine, and knock it over. Wine splashes onto my computer screen, a bit on my keyboard, and I curse and grab a towel. We quick power it down, and the hubby and I are trying to decide how much got inside the computer. We got online, and some help guide told us to take out the CPU to make sure no acid got in there and is corroding circuits. Apparently, we had already voided the warranty by spilling the wine, so there was no real reason not to take the computer's memory out. So the husband removes it, after much nudging by me, because he doesn't really believe any wine got in there. So when it's semi- torn apart, he says, "See? No evidence of wine." I lean forward to look, and knock his wine over into the computer. Oh. my. god. Wine splashes all over the laptop again, and I turned and walked away (hands now in my pockets). I have never seen him so frustrated. He yelled at a kid wandering by (poor kid), and I just looked out the window. I mean, I hadn't even drank any of the wine, so what was the deal? Now we had to tear the computer completely apart, and get out q-tips and remove the screen and all the chips (there are many), and undo, like, a million screws. To give him credit, the hubby didn't say one negative thing after the initial crabbiness. Now my computer looked like this:




Yes, the warranty was definitely voided. Your good wishes would be appreciated.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. My heart stopped when the second glass of wine went over. I've spilled coffee before, but only on the external keyboard (whew.)

I hope it all goes back together and comes back up for you nicely. And, I hope you have backups. Just in case.

Jennifer said...

That's the stuff nightmares are made of. Eeps! I hope everything goes back together and fires up as normal.

Cheryl said...

I just put a post on my blog especially for you.

Anonymous said...

OH NO! Hopefully, it will all be fine when it's put back together.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Was it white or red? (No matter.) I actually did the same to my laptop once (well, only ONE glass) and it recovered nicely. Hopefully yours will do the same! (And I hope you had enough wine left over to still drink some!)

Laura B said...

Laptops are fickle anyway. Don't worry about it!

AR said...

Oh No! I hate when things like that happen. You don't even want to know about the bills coming into this house. Although, I'm sure I'll talk about it tomorrow.

The worst part of things like that happening, is it's usually my fault.

Hope you can fix it, or get a little $ windfall and get a new one. Urgh!!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I almost stopped reading when you knocked the 2nd glass over! :)
Am sending you good wishes. Lots and lots of good wishes. x

K. said...

Ouch... At least you were smart enough to take the laptop apart! I spilled tea into my old laptop and didn't even think of doing that (I probably would have broken something anyway). So I just tossed the thing. Good luck!

K. said...

Not only was the laptop thrown out, but we exploded it on the ground first! Oh and, unfortunately, 1974 was a bad bad year for Sean Connery. I never thought he could look unattractive. HOWEVER...originally, Burt Renolds was supposed to play the part. So not only did they give Connery a Renolds 'stash, but they gave him a long fake braid that doesn't really match the bad dye job they did on his real hair. The movie is a real mind trip!

Anonymous said...

Sending good wishes your way! Oh no! You REALLY needed a glass of wine.

LaurieM said...

Oh my goodness. You have a talent I think. Wow.

I've got my fingers crossed for you, and I'm sending good vibes to your hubby, the fix-it-man!

Romi said...

Oh, man! But never fear. I've spilled all sorts of stuff on my computer. When it dries it's fine. You'll see! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! I would've been so scared to take the computer apart...I can barely use it when it's all together.

And um...no more wine? ;-)

Carol said...

Can't take you anywhere! Can't even leave you at home;) This will be in the past very soon. It's not the worst thing that can happen.........right?

Anonymous said...

You know what is the real tragedy to the whole escapade? You didn't even get a sip of wine! My sweaty boobs destroyed the nano I gave to hubby for Christmas after I tucked it in my sports bra during a run...I thought I was being so clever by not buying one of those waterproof thingies ;)

Jen said...

Oh no! That's the worst! I hope it all goes back together and works.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Hope your computer is OK.

Anonymous said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Is you Webkidz coping well with the situation?
Good Luck with the shoe quest.

Brigitte said...

*thump*

*passes out*