Sunday, June 03, 2007

Shawl Pattern Picked!

Yay, I've found the shawl I'm going to do, as a practice shawl before the Dragone one. I can't wait to get started! I tried to pick a pattern that was difficult enough to actually be a warm-up to the Dragone shawl, not a simple eyelet shawl. Wish me luck! Anyone wishing to knit a shawl along with me, it would be fun. We'll exchange pics and post them on each others web sites, what say? I'm not going to start a second blog for it unless I get an amazing amount of people knitting along, which I don't expect, as most of you all have your own projects picked out for the summer, probably. Still, you never know. Lots of people joined up for the dishcloth contest. If I got, say, at least ten people agreeing to do the shawl knitalong, I'd randomly pick a winner at the end of the summer, and give away some fiber. Send me an email or post in the comments to let me know. And if only a couple of people want to do it, we'll be posting pics for you to enjoy!



I'll be ordering the yarn this week, or getting it from my LYS. I don't have a lot of luck there. I think the owner and I have different tastes, though I have scored Noro Silver Garden there, and she has many, many colors of wool. She doesn't have much cotton, and I think I'll surprise her that I want fingering weight yarn. I'd love to try Alpaca and silk, but we'll see. I want to get started, you know? So if she doesn't have it, I may not be able to wait for the snail mail, and will substitute something else. It helps that my husband is excited about this shawl, too, so any yarn purchases are going to pass by the household budget without a backward glance. Isn't it nice to be so supported in your craft? And the mother-in-law's quilt may never get done. I feel bad about that late at night, when I stop and think about it. During the day, though, it's full speed ahead on the knitting.

14 comments:

LaurieM said...

What on earth did you do to get your husband excited about a shawl? I mean, it's very pretty, and I think it's a great choice of pattern, but unless you promised to model it naked for him.... Oh. I think I just answered my own question. :-)

Jennifer said...

Yay for shawls! I'm so in for the KAL. I've got everything set up for the Swallowtail!

Anonymous said...

Gosh...I'd love to knit a shawl...I do have a few things in the queue, but I might be up for it. I'd have to find one that I thought I could do along with some of my other projects...maybe a little simpler than the one you've chosen (which I love, btw)?

Brigitte said...

This might just be the motivation I need to finish up Kiri!

Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish my DH felt that way! That's cool. And the shawl you picked is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I've been having quiet Dragone dreams myself. I love the shawl! love it.. but somehow it doesn't look as fun as it ought to {girn}.
I've already got two in the works that require designing efforts on my part (one is a modification of another design, and the other I've agreed to design for a friend), but when you start Dragone... I am almost sure to join any KAL for that one. The temptation will be too great!

AR said...

Very pretty! I might think about joining you, or finding another shawl like it. I've been craving some lace.

What time we knitting Wednesday?

Romi said...

That's a very very pretty shawl. I love lace knitting in summer! :)

Tala said...

Well....we all saw how well I did with the springy washcloth contest. I mean, there was free yarn involved, and I flaked! That being said, I am dying to knit either this shawl or Elann's Luna Moth shawl. Wolves in moonlight and luna moths - love!

Unknown said...

I would do it with you! I was supposed to take a lace knitting class that got cancelled, so I bought the Victorian Lace Today book instead. I just have to pick out what to make.

But I'm not making any promises about how fast I'll go, because I have lots of other things I'm working on too!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a feat, getting the DH to greenlight shawl yarn! Both those shawls are gorgeous - your "warm up" looks pretty dang hot! I love that Dragone pattern.

I'll be KAL with you all in spirit - I still have to finish my Moll Shawl. It's only....a year old.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! You've just helped kickstart me. I think I'll try Wendy's design. Your pick is beautiful!

Carol said...

Man am I behind on my reading! I love your choices for the shawls. they're both gonna be a knockout! Support is almost half what get's things done;) Have fun!

Anonymous said...

The Moonlight Sonata is a great choice in a shawl. Did you know about the Elann Shawl KAL? Lots of experts, there, if you need any help, or, just want to look at the pictures.
http://www.lunaandmore.blogspot.com/