Friday, June 22, 2007

A Penny Saved? Not likely.

Do you have the problem of getting to the bookstore and finding nothing to buy? I know there are lots and lots of great knitting books out there, because I was pouring through them yesterday. But I have "X" amount of money, and my qualifications for a new knitting book are strict. It has to have patterns I haven't seen before, with good colors and clear pictures. It can't be entirely in black and white. My brain doesn't like that. And I guess I've seen a lot of patterns, because nothing I flipped through grabbed me. There's a frugal part of my nature that declares, if I only had enough imagination, I could make this from a near pattern I have at home. I want to be fired by someone else's imagination, or that thirty bucks stays in my wallet.

That's okay. There's nothing wrong with being careful with your money. Actually, I respect my mother and grandmother, who apparently can have money in the bank, and say "no" to something they'd really like. But I admit that I am missing that gene, as I left the bookstore and spent over three hundred bucks on an assemble-it-yourself swimming pool. *sigh* Think of the yarn and the books that aren't going to happen now, because I had a buying urge and couldn't find a book.

My shawl is actually coming along, and it hasn't been so bad. The knitting was difficult at first, but now I've got a feel for when I've messed up, and I haven't had to frog, thankfully. And I'm far enough along now that someone would actually have to take a scissors to it before I would contemplate tearing it out. My computer is still incognito, and I'm not getting to everyone's site to see how or if your shawls are coming along, but I'm working on it. Have a wonderful summer day! I'll likely spend mine trying to figure out how to make ground level enough to place a pool on.

8 comments:

AR said...

Ooh, a pool, I think Lil AR and I might invite ourselves over. Hehe, just kidding!

My shawl is coming along much better now! I am past the part where I'd frog, and just try to tink back. Maybe it's time for a lifeline!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with getting the ground level. You should read my story of our pool assembly last year; UGH! But, it was well worth it; I love my pool! (and I really didn't do any of the work) :-)

LaurieM said...

Oh but think of the amount of knitting time you've given yourself while watching the kids as they enjoy the pool. Priceless.

Would sand work under the pool?

Carol said...

OK, they have pools in your bookstore? I'm with you on the saving thing, but I've been known to cave every once in a while. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Tee hee, a pool! That is a useful summer buy, though. The family will love it. My shawl has had to go on hold for a bit til I finish off my daughter's cardigan in time for her birthday.

Jennifer said...

Have fun putting the pool together! Once it gets set up it'll be so nice for the kids.

Jen said...

Frogging...I'm good at that. Pools....not so much.
The only books I'll buy (besides kids books) are knitting books. At garage sales. But I look at them everytime we're in the city.

Brigitte said...

I've been good - I haven't picked up any knitting books in a while now.

Hope you'll show some pics of the pool!