Thursday, June 07, 2007

Knitting Inspiration, and some KAL joiners

I had a perfectly good blog entry written, which I can't post, because I have no batteries for my camera. So I'll fly here with other people's pictures, and show you some when I've been to the grocery store for batteries. I've started a sleeveless pullover, Bonsai Tunic, from Interweave Knits Spring 2007 issue. I don't know why, as I'm waiting breathlessly for the shawl yarn to come in. Silly, silly, but the sock and I need a break from each other. Besides, size 8 needles, I'm hoping to slam this baby out in a week and get to wear it for summer. Bright, bright color, very cheery, which you can't see, cuz of the camera thing. I chose a periwinkle, which is weirdish, because it usually looks blue, but sometimes not. Anyway, I just started it yesterday, and I'm already 15 inches along on the back. Whee!



I met up with my girlfriends for knitting yesterday morning. It's nice to see what different projects we're all working on, and get inspired by their use of color versus mine, which is usually pretty dark or bland. I had a funny moment, because, before meeting for knitting, I was working on the Bonsai sweater, and watching Little Einsteins with the kids. They play Mozart and other classical music, which helps them solve problems, and also explains Allegro and Adagio and about different musicians' work. That's all supposed to make us parents feel good about letting the kids veg out in front of the t.v. And even though I knew what was happening, I was powerless to stop the fact that, when they played the music faster, my hands started moving faster. I miscounted stitches and had to go back, but it was still fun seeing my body respond to the music. HeeHee. I am such a simple creature.

I've gotten at least eight people, so far, who want to knit shawls with me for the summer. They are the KnittingNutter, CarrieK with her already started Moll Shawl, Erin, Tala, liking my shawl pick or the Luna Moth (which was one of my favorites, too), Arleta (maybe?), Liz, Jennifer, who is knitting Swallowtail, Brigitte, who will hopefully be finishing up her Kiri shawl, and LaurieM. I'm including LaurieM, because she's almost done with a pretty red shawl, and I want to include her, cuz I likes her! If you've already started a shawl and want to send me pictures to post on our little ShawlAlong, please do so, and I'll put them up on the site. This will be fun! "The more the merrier" was always true at birthday parties and still feels that way, now. So get your knit on, and let's see your stuff! I'm looking forward to it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Bonsai tunic--I can't wait to see your progress. We watch Little Einsteins here, every.single.day. I know whole songs & everything. LOL

Is the shawl-along just for shawls or do stoles count, too?

Cheryl said...

The Bonsai tunic is cute - I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

Marlene said...

I've started spinning (black with rainbow angelina) for a shawl but probably won't get around to knitting it until fall.

I know what you mean about music setting your pace --- whether you want it to or not. I have no control over what music plays during my elliptical trainer workouts and sometimes it is SO hard to keep up a good pace if the music selections are slow.

Jennifer said...

Ooo, I love the Bonsai Tunic! Gorgeous.

I think I'm going to cast on for Swallowtail next week. Fingers crossed.

LaurieM said...

Aw, thanks Carrie! But... Not done! Not near done! Much knitting still to do!

Sylvia of Beadlizard uses music to help her adjust her tension. Faster for tighter, slower for looser. Cool, eh?

Beth said...

If you're going to do the Dragone Shawl you may as well get the pegasus one as well and start a little Sharon Winsauer pattern collection.
I just started the evening shawl out of Briar Rose Sea Pearl. It's a pretty quick knit for a knit along but you can sign me up if you want. The shawl is for a shop sample since I'll be carrying a couple of the Briar Rose yarns in my shop.

Carrie K said...

Fun! I might do a clapotis too. Possibly.

The more projects on the needles, the better.

Brigitte said...

Ooooo...Bonsai tunic, how did I miss you? I'm going to have to look it up again. I agree with Carrie - the more projects on the needles, the better!

I'll send you a picture of my Kiri later today.

:)

Helen said...

I'm totally shawl knitting this summer!
Two even. One that I was knitting LAST summer before a came upon a design glitch (of my own making), and another that I've promised to design for a friend.
Count me in!

Anonymous said...

That tunic is super cute! Ok, I have decided on my shawl: cozy. It will probably take me a long, long time, and this is my first KAL, so I hope that's ok! Looking for yarn now...

Anonymous said...

I've just started Yarnharlot's Snowdrop Shawl and have gone back to knitting with my tongue out - the way I used to when I was a kid and my grandmother taught me to knit. This is tough stuff!