Wednesday, March 07, 2007

What do you do when you're stressed?

You know when you're so stressed out you can't even concentrate on what's going on around you? Well, here's what I always do: Take a deep breath, look at the things that are stressing me out, and then I start to clean house. No, not my physical house; the mental one. I have to decide what the things are that are making me unhappy, and I have to get rid of them. My ex-husband? A stressful man, if ever there was one. (This husband is much better! *wink to the hubby*) If I have too many things to do, I either delegate, or I make a pot of coffee, quit complaining, and pull an all-nighter. That's not my favorite thing to do, but it frequently works, when I can in essence create another day. I'm getting old, though, and it takes time to recover from this.

If I'm doing something that makes me very, VERY unhappy, I stop doing it. I find a way to get out of the situation. Life on this planet spiraling its way through the universe is stressful enough without me adding stressful situations. So I have decided to drastically cut what I expect the kids to do in drama club. The last two weeks haven't been fun, they've been work - which makes sense to me, but the children aren't happy. My husband wisely asked me if I wanted to put on a mediocre play, and have the kids be happy, or if I wanted to put on a finished play, and have everybody walk away with a really bad feeling. I guess I want a mediocre play. Actually, it will probably still be a fantastic play, as the parents and classmates will get a charge out of watching the actors work.

My fledgling at-home business is very stressful with a two-and-a-half year old. There doesn't seem to be enough time to do the basic upkeep of it, so I have to figure out what to do about that, too. I haven't given up yet, but I do need to think about how to make things easier.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if cleaning the house WAS a stress reliever?

8 comments:

tatjana said...

I used to go out dancing when I was really stressed. I find it's a really great way to unwind. But since I've been in Germany and there's no place fun to go where we live, I have tried to do what you do and mentally 'clean up' - not always easy, but it must be done :) I think you're right about the play, it's more important that the kids have fun. Also, it often happens that when children really enjoy doing something, they get better at it (adults too, hehe) Good luck with everything and don't forget to have fun yourself too :)

LaurieM said...

Just in case you haven't heard of her, you should check out the Fly Lady. She has a way about her that makes cleaning more fun.

Otherwise, crank the tunes when you clean and dance it!

Brigitte said...

Yes, mentally cleaning up makes a big difference. Take a deep breath, put things into perspective, and laugh if you can...

If cleaning were a stress reliever? Still don't think my place would be any tidier at times!

Cheryl said...

Physical labor in the garden is always a good stress reliever for me - but it doesn't work so well when there's snow on the ground. But there's always Tequila.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

This post was very helpful for me. Thank you. I am super stressed out, too. ~sigh.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, trying to get anything accomplished with a toddler in tow is not.very.much.fun. HOW do we manage?? I'm sure the play will be fantastic, so try not to stress about that.

AR said...

A maid would greatly relieve my stress!

I'd say, 'hope you work it all out', but I know you will! :D

Carol said...

Hate to say this, but when I'm stressed, I clean the house. Physical activity works it out of me. Then I eat something I really like.