Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's okay to say we don't know.

*Whispering* I shouldn't be doing this. There's work to be done, errands, sewing, cleaning... and here I am, with you. *flutter of eyelashes* Well.... I suppose all that can wait, so we can have these few stolen minutes. After all, it's been so long. *sigh* Then again, we have to think of the children...

Well, the kids will wait a bit, I suppose. Not much knitting content to show, but wait til you see the beautiful kimonos! Phew! I'd have finished pictures now, but the sandman threw a bucket in my face last night, to make up for sewing all night the night before. Why do things take so much longer than we think they will??? Ah, well, here's my rant, for your review and comment. There's been a conspiracy (should we whisper again?) by all elders in my daughter's sphere, to steal the idea of magic. "No, dear, there aren't any dragons, or unicorns, or faeries, or magic." Sorry to send you home from school, crying.

Tell me, how do these people know?? And if you thought you did know, why would you tell a child? Is it our duty to divest them of their imagination, their joyful thoughts, their hopes to find a dragon egg? For heaven's sake, let them be kids! If there are unicorns, they sure as hell aren't going to show themselves to some 50-year-old woman who would take joy from a kid. A dragon might come visit, but then we'd never know, would we? What about the Loch Ness fella swimmin in their lake? I suppose he's a big fake, too? And don't start thinking I believe the wrestling I see on t.v. I know the difference. I just don't see why we should negate something so huge, that we probably don't have the first clue about. I absolutely believe that there are positive forces in the world we can't see. How else does knitting karma work? And I think the fairy rings we get in our front yard are astonishing, and a gift to see. So there. That's the rant for the week, as I struggle with teaching my child to respect adults, while they're spitting out stuff to make her cry. Why, I say, why? I believe there are things we should teach, and things that we should allow are mysteries. There's is a great deal of what I consider magic in the world.

9 comments:

Mouse said...

My son came home on the second week of school and told me that his teachers said that his "Jedi mind-powers" are fake and just tv effects. They also told him the same thing about fairies and dragons - is there some sort of conspiracy against fairies and dragons?? sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Of all the things that stand out to me about childhood memories.... one of the most vivid is when my sister crushed my belief of St. Nicholas. I am not talking about Santa Claus... this is the legend of the saint who rides down from heaven on his chariot and leaves goodies in your shoes if you leave them by the door. Maybe it was an Italian tradition? No matter, I totally BELIEVED it, long after Santa... God was involved and who would lie about that!

Well, I got an album and was playing it. She said it was hers, and I said, "NO. St. Nicholas brought it to me!" She said, "Well - yeah... mom did. It was my album and she had forgotten it was the Eve of St. Nicholas."

I was crushed. It's a wonder I even talk to her today. ;-) (but I still keep my shoes by the door - just in case.)

tatjana said...

Dear girl, you really so frighten my with your early morning posting. How do you do it?? But you are very right, such magic scoffing people are just wrong wrong wrong!! I am a firm believer in magic and lots of other things. I'm glad you are too :)

LaurieM said...

You can tell your daughter that there is a germ of truth in all these old stories. Dragons sound a lot like dinosaurs, fairies are like fireflies and then show her a picture of a nar-whale. The magic is in keeping your mind open to the possibility of wonder in the world.

JohnK said...

Faeries and dragons, part of the world of possibility. I am always hearten to see how many others believe.
p.s (the comment of an almost 50 year old)

AR said...

Mean people! Of course there are things we can't see, especially if we don't keep open minds. I kind of think I know who may have said that. Shame on her/him for making your lil' girl cry!!

Anonymous said...

This happened to my dd, too & boy was I pissed. In Kindergarten, the teachers leave gold rocks on the kids' desks the day after St. Patty's every year & say the leprechauns left them. To me, no biggie. My "brilliant" SIL told her that whoever told her leprechauns did it "were lying". This is the same woman who refuses to let her child believe in Santa, not for any religious reasons, but because she doesn't want anyone, real or imaginary, getting credit for her stuff. Sad sad sad

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in these people's deranged minds! As you said... WHY!?

Tala said...

That's just HORRIBLE! That's just mean AND ridiculous. It's about having faith - just like people's faith in god (I'm SO not a religious person, so probably talking out of my butt here!) I mean, children have faith in EVERYTHING, and it should stay that way! They're CHILDREN for goodness' sake! My daughter ran around ALL day yesterday with bright pink fairy wings on telling everyone she's a fairy - and she brought a smile to pretty much everyone's face! Hope a dragon (or maybe a fairy!) poops in that teacher's cereal!