Sunday, December 17, 2006

Knit From Your Stash (?)

Wendyknits has decided, with her friend, to knit only from her stash in 2007. Since we here have run up against a wall called, "We can't possibly make our bills without hitting our credit card," I think it's a good idea to do the same. I'm not sure if I have enough stash to knit for an entire year, but it will be interesting to see how far I get. Their rules are as follows, and if you decide to do the same, you can change the rules for yourself. Here they are:

Knit From Your Stash 2007: Guidelines for L-B and Wendy
1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.
2. We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? You think we are made of stone?
2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.
2.c. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project.
2.d. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.
3. We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn.
4. Spinning fiber of any sort is exempt.

I'm glad that sock yarn doesn't count. I've got enough for several pairs, but not enough for the whole year. Has anyone seen Trek Casts On and her sock count? I think that's awesome. So far, she has knit up 24 pairs for 2006. What does she do with them??? She must have the best-clad feet ever.

For Teacher's Gifts this year, I have decided to donate to the Yarn Harlot's cause, Doctors Without Borders, for each teacher. My oldest daughter approved, and she takes the teachers' request of No Gifts, Please very seriously. I think it's a wonderful cause, and whenever Stephanie writes about it, I get teary. I won't start on all of the hurt in the world, but gee, can't we do better? Anyway, it's a great organization, and if you know anyone who has everything, consider giving a gift like this. I think it's a feel-good for everyone.

I'm getting close to the end on my Christmas knitting. I think I'll finish right around, oh, the 25th or so....

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I really should join knit from your stash for next year. I have so much in my stash, and yet I buy new projects all the time. Maybe I'll try this - the being allowed to buy sock yarn helps (I have enough to not buy it for a year, but still!). Your idea for your kids' teacher presents is great! Congrats on almost being done with your Christmas knitting!

AR said...

You guys have fun knitting from your stashes. I don't have a stash, so I just have to buy yarn. hehe

If you knit your stash all up before September(as if) you'd get to buy yarn then, right? Lucky about sock yarn not counting, I can't see you not getting sock yarn!

Marina said...

Did about the same thing as that for 6 months earlier this year! It really wasn't too bad but when I could buy, I started buying stuff that I wasn't going to use in the near future and too much of it. Obviously, I didn't learn too much from it ;-)

AR said...

Oh, yeah, you're tagged. Come read my blog tomorrow for the details! :)

Mindy said...

I am debating joining but I am not sure how well I would stick to it. Although I do have plenty of stash to knit from.

Anonymous said...

NOTHING will stop me from buying yarn. NOTHING!!