Sunday, August 24, 2008

A rooster update, and a foray into the working world

I was going to write "The farming saga continues," but we're really having a lot of fun with it. I drive over and try to keep up with the kids as we take care of the horse, chickens and cats. Then we buy some vegetables from a little boy who has a stand at the end of the road, then come home. Later, we smile at having an excuse to leave whatever event early so that we can put the chickens to bed and make sure all is well, also checking the vegetable stand for new prizes. That little boy has a way with plants. And can you get over the price of cucumbers this year?? And this little guy is selling cukes as long as your arm for 25 cents each. We're leaving him 50 cents each and still getting a bargain. Next year, half of the garden shall be cucumbers!

Pip the evil, doesn't-know-his-own-size rooster has been getting all territorial again, though. I'm not sure my husband took it really seriously (you know that feeling that they're patting your head, even if they're not touching you?) but he went over to help with him when I had to do the animals. I grabbed my camera. Heh heh. Now, it's my back-up camera to the back-up camera, so it's not great, and I couldn't get a picture of the bird in air attacking him. You'll have to trust me. It was a thing to behold. I didn't wish my husband attacked or anything, but I felt a certain smugness when the bird did what I expected it to do. Here's a totally sucky picture of him just before the bird flew up and tagged his hand with his leg spurs.


My hubby then chased that bird all around the yard, with Pip occasionally pecking for his legs, as the opportunity came open. You'll see that he believed me enough to wear protective clothing. We've all begun to make sure we're wearing jeans before we check the animals. My oldest, who doesn't like to wear a coat in the winter, has searched through her drawers for long-sleeved clothing. You're just not as nervous about little beaks or mosquitos when you're adequately clothed. Anyway, when Pip finally darted into the bushes to get away, my husband let him and called the game over. Then the bird crowed, and hubby went crashing back into the bushes after him. We heard a squawk and a lot of branches getting broken, and now Pip pretty much stays away when my husband is there.

See how I keep saying "my husband"? That's because the bird is in no way scared of me anymore, just the crazy guy who lunges at him.

I do have some knitting. My oldest daughter got a job this year at a beading shop, one day a week. I was proud of her for taking on the responsibility, and I was really happy with the owner for being so nice to her. My kid got to make a piece of jewelry a week, and the owner was really positive and always said how much she liked her. We decided to make her a present, and I asked what her favorite colors were. She said, "Purple, and Incredible Hulk green!" Whew! What was I supposed to do with that? But I actually found some yarn I thought I could work with, and made her some fingerless hand mitts to wear while she beaded in the winter. The yarn, Ella Rae Mosaic, was bulky, and I knit these with size 6 needles, so it was really a two-day project. I liked them, and they're very comfy. Then my oldest wrote her a Thank You card, and we slid it into the gift bag, along with a jar of homemade peach jam (still warm - mmmm).


With summer closing down, though, I dropped my kid off for her last day of work last Friday, then went home with the other two kids. An hour and a half later, she calls and is crying, "Mom, she fired me. Can you come and get me?" My daughter said she couldn't find enough work to do, and didn't understand how to do custom orders, and the boss finally yelled at her and told her she could go home. So I piled the kids in the car, in the pouring rain (that's important, since my daughter was waiting outside the shop), and went to get her, not sparing the gas. I know there are two sides to every story, and my patient husband has taught me many things about talking things over calmly, and reasonably approaching a problem. But a little voice from Carrie Past kept asking, "What person fires a kid on their last day?" I did, however, bring along the gift, since things frequently turn out for the best, despite my worries. So I come into the shop and the owner smiles at me, very pleasant and happy. In retrospect, I think she was faking it. I ask where my daughter might be, and she looks blank and a bit worried. You see, she let my daughter go outside twenty minutes before, and has no idea where she is. I take that in stride, and ask what happened before I got the phone call. "Oh," she says, "she was having a hard time staying busy, and wouldn't work on a custom order, so I had to keep giving her jobs to do." Okayyyyy. Sounds fairly normal to me. "Finally I said she could go home if she couldn't find enough to do." Oh, says I. She thinks she's been fired, did you know? "No, no," says the nice owner, "She can come back. It's a misunderstanding, I'm sure." So I hand over her gift and say, "This feels weird now, but we made this for you to say thank you. I'll talk to my daughter and give you a call."

At this point, I see my daughter outside on the sidewalk, and I skedaddle. After giving her a hug, I walk her to the car, and listen on the way home to a completely different version of things, where the owner's voice kept getting louder, and she was gritting her teeth, 'til finally my daughter was scared of her. When told she could go home, my daughter thought she'd been fired and left, which I totally get. I leave when people are gritting their teeth at me and tell me to go, too. So from what I understand, my daughter didn't know how to do custom orders, couldn't find any more beads to sort, and was faking being busy. Then she got spoken to from gritted teeth from an increasingly frustrated lady, and thought she was fired. What a rotten way to end your last day at work. She probably won't want a job now 'til she's 18. And I can't even imagine the bead shop owner is going to enjoy those mitts, no matter how cushy they are.

9 comments:

Mouse said...

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter wasn't treated very nicely at her job.. hopefully she will have a better experience with someone else. I would have probably reacted the same way because I don't like being talked to that way either..
Your chicken stories are very funny.. glad you're enjoying taking care of the farm.

AR said...

Hah, crazy rooster, if it knew anything it would be afraid of you.

Well, that was a weird thing to happen. Poor girl. I'm totally on her side, hmm, but I'm just like that. So, is she really old enough to do a custom order? I hate it when people (especially kids) are expected to just do something they haven't been taught. You're so darn nice, you know I would have stomped into that shop ready to clobber anyone who made my kid cry. That gets me in trouble more often than not, though. Hope the oldest feels better soon. Your kids are so great! I just love 'em!

Marlene said...

It is part of an employers job to be organized enough to keep her employees busy and to train them well to do the jobs expected of them. It's unfortunate that your daughter's first employer was incapable of taking responsibility for her own shortcomings.

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

Are cucumbers expensive where you are? They're always 2 for a dollar here, it seems.

I'm so sorry about your daughter's experience. It sounds like it was primarily an issue of communication styles, but that doesn't make it any better for her.

Anonymous said...

What a lousy end to a job that your daughter was enjoying. The last day has negated all the good ones, I'm sure. I'm with Arleta, I would have gone in there ready to kill; you did good.

p.s. Here's hoping the handwarmers give her a rash :-)

Anonymous said...

Awww, I really feel for your daughter! Poor thing. It was incredibly kind of you to give those mitts because I don't think I would have!

Well, maybe now your husband will listen to you more & forego the head-patting (I know exactly what you mean)!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha at your hubby and the rooster square off! Just sorry that he's no longer afraid of you. (The rooster. I'm sure you have your husband sufficiently cowed :)

That's too bad about your daughter, her last day and the shop manager.

Anonymous said...

Guess I know where I won't be going ever again ! How rude !

I hope Mel has a chicken dinner when they get back !!

Jennifer said...

What a bad way to end a job. I hope your daughter doesn't get turned off of work totally.