Saturday, August 09, 2008

Short and Sweet

I'm in withdrawal from Blogland. Old-fashioned week was very fun, and much canning was done. I also learned two things about my television. It's very quiet without it, and I use it to calm the kids down. When they get too crazy or start fighting, I'll distract them with a movie, and I didn't have my television last week! So outside they went, which was better for us all, really, because it got me out in the garden more, and they went exploring and fairy catching. Another fortunate event, because little beetley bugs are trying to eat all of my squash, and if we could only find some fairies and talk them into protecting the garden, that would be awesome.


My nephews also came up last week, and we have had so much fun just enjoying the summer. We got out to the beach and our local lighthouse, the waterpark, dragon-egg exploring (dragons and fairies are very popular around here), and in general used the summer for what it should be used for, and enjoyed it very much.


Now, poked here and there into all of the canning, exploring, gardening and swimming, were flashes of knowledge that a birthday was coming up. It's for my mother, and it's a big birthday. I'd post which one, but I'd better get permission first, even thought it's absolutely inconceivable that this number could be true. Anyway, it is coming up, and I knew what I wanted to make her. Well, first, I wanted to make her something, and I knew what she wanted, but it was a big project. And I didn't leave myself very much time. Well, I'd started her gift months ago, then set it down in favor of more immediate concerns, like teachers' gifts and - well, you know how it goes. In fact, I finally sat down a few days ago and figured out how much knitting was left, and it translated to ten hours of knitting. That's ten straight hours, when I had to pretend I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, and go visiting and adventuring and all that. So I've been trying to knit at night, after putting up freezer corn and taking a swipe at the dishes.


NO, it's not done. Geez Louise, her birthday is Tuesday, so I expect I'll be done some time Tuesday morning. I did however spend a couple of hours with Johnny Depp last night, enjoying his fluid pirating skills and the occasional scene with Orlando Bloom. Not so great for concentrating on knitting, but definitely I didn't fall asleep. Besides, I'd seen it before, so I could look up at the really good spots.

Now today is the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, and my family is running a free car wash for four hours. I've washed every towel in the house, and I need to stop and buy drinks and sunscreen before we go. Then most likely friends will come for dinner, and knitting will again be a midnight endeavor. Ah, the endorphin thrill of leaving things to the last minute ...

I'll leave you with a knitting picture. Arleta made bags for Mel and I when we went to the fiber festival. These bags are made from Cottonease, the colors they no longer make. She depleted stash for us! And these bags grow and grow as needed, and will hold a lot of fiber. It was actually impossible to fill our bags. It was cool. What a sweet friend, don't you think? She didn't even have time to make one for herself, and had to listen to people compliment ours all day. (No, no. We gave credit, and she had to explain the pattern again and again. I think she liked it).



I'm off now, but I feel better for having downloaded my thoughts. Hope you're having a good week!

7 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

You should come to our newest knitting store in Salt Lake. You could have those bags filled up with fibery goodness in no time at all. It's dangerous to go in there.

AR said...

I did enjoy all of the compliments. :) Thanks for posting a pic, you'll have to mail me a copy. I finally started my bag, now to get it finished!

Mouse said...

With the exception of not being able to check knitting patterns on Ravelry I really liked my 'unplugged' time from the internet after we moved.

Anonymous said...

Old fashioned week sounds like fun. Many years ago our town participated in and energy saving week. It was fun. No TV, we didn't have a computer then (it's been about 25+ years) Kerosene lamps. It was fun, and quiet.
Nice to hear your family enjoyed the week.

Jennifer said...

I love the bags! Hadn't thought of using cotton-ease...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting week! We all need to unplug now and then.

Those bags are cute.

Tomorrow. Phht. Plenty of time left! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Arleta did an awesome job! Just look at those cool colors.