Sunday, August 17, 2008

Garden Rated PG-13

My carrots in my garden are really growing. I think I'm starting to understand why thinning them might have been a good idea. The greens are very, very tall. When you push down between all of that leafage, the stems of the carrots are packed in really tight, and they're starting to look uncomfortable. So I decided to thin them out just a bit, and pulled a few roots. The carrots are alarmingly large already, and I tried to tell myself they were done. But when we sampled one, it really doesn't taste ripe. So they'll keep growing, but really, I'm thinking people who know me are going to be receiving gifts of carrots.

And I figured out that some very interesting things happen when you let your carrots grow too closely together. They twist around each other, meld together to become more than just themselves. I would even venture to say that, with so little distance between themselves, they are communicating and perhaps evolving into something more.

Aren't they pretty?


So tell me, then, if you would, what is wrong with this carrot???



I know. I, too, thought the garden was rated G, but I was wrong. This aberration was well on his way to becoming a little carrot person, and what would have happened then?? We'll go to pull them, and they'll rise up like little root soldiers, well equipped (ahem) to conquer the garden and claim it as their own. And I'll let them, because, honestly, this is just too freaky to handle. Don't you think?

9 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

Well, personally, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with that carrot. Nothing at all.

AR said...

That's just a boy carrot. Of course, most boys are naughty. hehehe
We bought some carrots at the farmer's market yesterday. Mmmm home grown carrots are the best.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! You should send that pic in to Jay Leno or something.

LaurieM said...

My husband and boys all had to come take a look at that. I think they found it somewhat disturbing... ;-)

sheep#100 said...

I showed Number Guy the picture and he said, "Oh, look, it has boy parts."

Well, he didn't exactly say boy parts but this is a G rated blog - even if your garden isn't.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Naked boy carrot. What was going to happen next in your garden? Baseball carrots. Beer carrots. What were you expecting? :)

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading this post. It would have been all over the screen.

Anonymous said...

Oh Carrie, that is hilarious! :) [Good on you for growing your own though.]

Rachel said...

So the way my mind works, the garden went above the PG-13 rating. That picture and your commentary (and cheryl's comment) made me laugh--thanks for that!