Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My Poor Book

If you've read my little blog for any time at all, you'll know that I'm a big fan of the Harlot. Aside from Arleta's Motley Wool, she was my first real introduction into blogland. I picked up her book, At Knit's End, at the bookstore and read just a couple of excerpts, and I was laughing right there at the book store. So I bought one for me and one for my friend, and in the back, it mentioned her blog. When I found it online, I read every single entry she'd ever written. I went back years. My family made their own meals for several days, and thank goodness it was summer. It was like reading her books, only more personal. Very, very funny lady.

So when her latest book came out, Things I Learned from Knitting...whether I wanted to or not," I really wanted it. But, as I have mentioned often, we're on a fairly detailed budget, and I wasn't going to buy it for just no reason. No, no. It had to be a prize, or something. So I promised myself, when I lost ten pounds, that would be my gift to me. That was a really great gift to go for, too. It wasn't a bag of marshmallows or a movie ticket, both of which would be over with pretty quickly. This was a gift that could be enjoyed again and again, calorie and popcorn free. So I waited, and cheated, and got back on the diet, and eventually lost six pounds, which was close enough, and I got the book.

I started reading it two days ago, and it was entertaining, just like I'd hoped. But I didn't want to read it all at once, because I'd worked really hard to get it, and I wanted it to last. So I set it down for the night. I'd pick it up later, since I was now in the mood for a little knitting. In the meantime, my oldest daughter found it and grabbed it up. (Have I mentioned how much reading gets done around here since we unplugged the television?) She asked if she could read it, and, since Stephanie is mostly G-rated (except she says arse all the time, but so do I, in an American sort of way), I said Sure. So the next day, she's reading in the car on the way to the dentist for my second daughter. We're all talking amongst ourselves, and I'm driving and half listening to NPR, and I hear my second kid go, "Hey, a mosquito!" Snap! My oldest kid goes, "Cool! I got it!"

Snap? What went "Snap"? I looked around, and she's holding my new Stephanie Pearl-McPhee book, and smiling triumphantly. I said, "How did you get the mosquito?" She said, "With the book. It was awesome! Look, it's on page 15. Gross, huh?" And she holds it out to me. No, I don't look. I'm too disgusted, and amused - gotta admit it - but pretty stunned, too. I took a deliberately blurred picture as proof of my kid's lack of respect for Ms. McPhee, because I didn't think you'd want to see the mosquito, either.


Now, dangit, if I ever get the chance to see Stephanie in person, I can't ask her to sign my book.

9 comments:

Marigold said...

She has kids too :) i bet she would think it's hilarious if you asked her to sign the mosquito!

sheep#100 said...

Just don't ask her to sign page 15...

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others.. she'd totally "get" it. I'm still waiting to buy her new books because I couldn't afford them. I did get to hear her read some of the last book when I went to the event but I had her sign an older book.

Anonymous said...

Trek's got the right answer :-)

(congrats on the 6 pounds)

Anonymous said...

Sure you can. She'd probably love it. Not only a book that was snatched up by more than one member of your family but useful! We knitters are a thrifty make-do lot, you know.

OTOH, the carnage. ;)

Dave said...

I bet she would LOVE to sign back 15.

Jennifer said...

I think with the stories that she has shared about her own daughters, you could totally have her sign the book, she'd probably even sign that very page with a chuckle and a smile.

Brigitte said...

Sure she would! And I think she'd probably get a kick out of the story too.

:)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I agree with everyone. Stephanie would probably find the whole story pretty funny!