Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Having a moment

My friend Angela was blogging about having God moments, and she invited comments from people that have them, and what they are. I commented that if I feel things aren't going the way I want, repeatedly, perhaps I am not supposed to be taking that path. I listen to that little voice that says, "Don't do that. I'm going to make things difficult if you do." The reverse of that actually happened yesterday morning. I had been trying, calling on many contacts, to get someone to watch my 3-year-old, so I could go on a field trip with my oldest daughter. I met with obstacle after obstacle (people saying "no") and decided I must not be meant to go. Then, on Friday, my husband said that he had Columbus Day off of work. Hey, thinks I, I'm not signed up to go on that field trip, but maybe I could pop in for a bit anyway. I didn't know if that was allowed, though, so I nipped in yesterday morning to ask the teacher. As it happened, a parent had just cancelled due to car trouble, and the teacher was very grateful that I'd be able to chaperone. For once, instead of being led away from something, I was led to it. It was neat, and a little unnerving.

The field trip was to the art museum, and it went great. I was in charge of 16 kids (!!!), and I am a head counter, so I let my natural inclinations take over, and counted repeatedly. And yay me, I discovered I only had 15 students (counted three times before I mentioned it to a teacher) within a minute or so of one wandering off. CSI Miami Monday night was about children being abducted from school, so I had all of my mom radar on. It was great seeing the kids learning about art being crumpled metal, or design drawings, or collages, or carved stone. They're a great group of kids and didn't cut up, even when the explanations went on for a long time.

In bunny news, our little Angoras have acknowledged me as both a friend and an accomplished ear rubber. They've also deigned to let me begin brushing them (I think they like to look pretty), and I'm getting the softest roving ever. I've also been hearing murmurs about a spinning group who might be able to help me figure out what to do with it now...

I'm off to enjoy the last of the beautiful weather for awhile. Happy Knitting!

8 comments:

Tala said...

Ooooh....bunny crack! I'm SO jealous! I'm hoping once we move and have more space I can get a bunny crack source or two. Love the bunny crack!

Thanks for the good wishes with the medical problems - hopefully soon we'll have everything settled!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, that's a great take on the inner voice. Stumbling across obstacles makes me more determined to do, rather than not [to do]. Must learn to listen. :)

PICAdrienne said...

At our church we do not believe in coincidences, we believe in Godincidences.

Including, you with Mom radar at full strength counting little heads. Last time I chaperoned a field trip, several of the boys were taller than I. A whole different reason for doing all the head counts.

Janice said...

I totally can relate to "God Moments". Thanks for sharing your great example!
"All things work together for good..."

Anonymous said...

Great example, Carrie! And I'm just like you...anyone missing & I'm instantly Major Worrier. You just never know nowadays & being cautious is not a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie... Very cool example! Isn't it just great to have those moments? I wish I could say I always trust that God has got my back and could just chill. Alas - I am a control freak with only occasional moments of surrender.

About the kid... I only had 5 to worry about on Mackinac Island and lost one, so you did great!

Anonymous said...

I'm stubborn and God had to wack me pretty hard a few times (once with an 18 wheeler) before I learned to listen. It's great to have his guidance, so I don't know why it took me so long to learn!

My daughter is spinning with some angora right now. Mmmmmmmm, so soft!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you were able to go on the field trip! I enjoy going on them with my kids, although I'll be missing one with my eldest tomorrow.