Saturday, January 26, 2008

My friend is a busy bee...

The other day, I had the most fun helping a friend of mine teach a spinning class to a whole whack of third graders. I love this age. They were so excited to learn about sheep and fiber, and how to make their own yarn. They kept asking, "When I'm done, can I knit with it?" Sure, says I, it's your yarn! It was a neat thing to watch, though we were really hopping around from one spindle to another, helping with overspinning/underspinning/dropped spindles. Arleta, another mom and I were showing technique, then the teacher dived right in with helping them draft, which was very sporting of him, as I don't think he had any idea what to do when he started. He's also very much a "sports" man, so I was doubly impressed that he got into the drop spindle. Here's some pics:


The lovely Arleta


A classful of potential spinners


Did I mention there were two classes of third graders?


Kudos to Arleta for volunteering to show this technique. It was pretty nerve-wracking for her, it being her first time and all. I have a feeling, though, with my kid going into third grade next year, she'll be asked to teach for the class again =)

10 comments:

JohnK said...

Teaching spinning to the 3rd graders is a great thing! Love hearing about stuff like that.

LaurieM said...

Way cool! I've just learned in the last few years the connection between fiber and yarn and I've been knitting for years! You're doing an important service for the future.

Jennifer said...

How fun! 8 seems like a very good age to start learning how to spin.

Anonymous said...

That sounds positively overwhelming but a whole lot of fun!

AR said...

Thank you! :D You can be my personal photographer, if you want. Any other pics of me look so weird.

Thanks for the help, too! Like I said, next year, I'll be your helper. hehe

Anonymous said...

How cool! I wish I could have been in that class. Those are some lucky kids. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, you got pics! As I told AR, you two make a great team.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

I think this is an AWESOME thing to bring into the classroom.

My version of this (being a chef) was to show up at 1st grade and teach all the kids how to make fruit kabobs. With a knife. Okay, it was a plastic knife, but the teacher wigged out. The kids on the other hand loved it, and I spend quite some time teaching about knife safety as part of the demo.

Not to ramble on about myself, but my point here, is that these kids are now in 5th grade, and they still talk about it. Hands on rocks!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

How very fun for them! Can you come to Marrakech and teach spinning in my son's class? Don't I wish...!

JohnK said...

I just wanted to let you know I've given you a You Make My Day award. No need to respond.