Sunday, May 27, 2007

Wobbly Kniting

Here's a picture for you. Look at this cast on. It's a gauge swatch for a pair of cotton footies, that being my first choice for summer knitting. The yarn was recommended by my LYS, and as it was just in, not even on the shelf yet, I jumped at it. I am a sucker for the "just in" yarns, and I hope she's not leaving a box on the floor just for my visits. Anyway, this yarn just isn't the right stuff. I'm a pretty decent knitter (if I do say so myself), and while this is a thick and thin yarn, it looks really wobbly, doesn't it? That's not because of me. The "thin" part of the thick-and-thin goes on for a really long time, and the "thick" part is just a teeny bit here and there. On size 8 needles, it just isn't going to work, and at least I didn't have to get very far before I realized that. Now I have to find a pattern that actually will work for Katia Colibri, and I can't even imagine what that would be. I'll let ya know, tho!

I've been helping a girlfriend with a yard sale for a few days, and all that time in the sun has given me a nice jump start on the summer tan. I know we're not supposed to tan anymore, but I'm scared of those bronzers, which may or may not give the same effect. Has anyone used them? I'm scared of them like I am the spray-on tanner. Yikes. Anyway, I think tanning makes you look two or three pounds thinner, and I'm all about that, since I've put five pounds on since I went to Texas. Funny how, when you get out of the habit of an apple for breakfast, it just doesn't sound that good... I'm working on the remotivation, though. In fact, I saw a magazine just yesterday that guaranteed I could drop four sizes by summer. LOL! It was probably left over from December. I'm not sure.

My baby is three tomorrow, so today I'll be decorating an Elmo cake and buy red balloons. I'm going to enjoy it as hard as I can, because I've been totally struck by the "last baby syndrome." The first two kids, I was up til midnight decorating cakes, grumbling about how I could go to Sam's Club and get a beautiful cake, all finished, and monogram it in seconds. But you know what? A nine year old will die before she lets you make her an Elmo cake, and the seven year old just gets really quiet, because she doesn't want to hurt your feelings. So I'm rockin the Elmo for all it's worth today, and will post pics tomorrow. Have a great Memorial weekend!

9 comments:

LaurieM said...

That yarn wants to be a summer top. Something that you'd layer a cami under. Lacey and light.

I hope you and your "baby" have a wonderful birthday! My almost-11 year old son still remembers his third birthday fondly. He had a Peter Pan party, with a pirate cake and a treasure hunt with everyone in costume. All home made and it was his imagination that made it magic.

tatjana said...

Thanks for the link hon! Sorry you couldn't find my addy, there's a link to one of them on my profile, but I really should put a direct link on the blog. Anyway, you can mail me anytime at tatjana dot schulz at gmail dot com. Have fun celebrating with your little one, I think you're the bomb for rockin the elmo :)

sheep#100 said...

No, that is not the right yarn. You want cotton for summer footies? Go Fixation

Laura B said...

Happy Bday to your baby (I'm not sure if you can still use that word when she's three, though)!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the little one!

Enjoy it all you can; pretty soon you'll turn around and they'll be all grown up!

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday to your baby! I have two kids, and have no plans for more, so I understand the last baby thing. My daughter is growing so fast, I'm trying to enjoy every stage.

AR said...

Happy Birthday to the baby! I can't believe she's three.

I got to play with a wee one all Saturday while the kids went to the movies with their Granny and Aunt. He sure was fun, but no urges for me! hehe

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

I think socks out of that yarn would be might darn uncomfortable. An airy little decorative scarf maybe...? A hair band?
...and I'm with ya' on the self tanning products. Every year I just end up with a "backpacker's tan", complete with lines from tank tops and socks.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the little one. Mine's turning 4 in July and it's Dora all the way!

Yes, that yarn looks really wobbly.