Saturday, July 19, 2008

Finished Object Friday

I thought it was time for a Finished Objects Friday post. Well, yeah, it's Saturday. But for two weeks I've been trying to write this post, and Friday keeps getting by me! So this morning I thought, Meh, they'll understand if I write the post a day late, because most of you have been reading my blog for a bit, and know how scattered life can make me. My first FO is some Merino wool I spun for a friend. I finished it very quickly, 4 ounces with a spindle - it just took a matter of days. Then probably a month later I washed it up. Sorry about that, Mel. I don't know what happened there, except it took me at least that long to block a quilt as a favor to my mom, and she's my mom, for goodness sake. It might have something to do with the drudgery of washing, instead of the joy of creating. At any rate, here's a pic of the 285 yards of DK weight merino:

And of the quilt, which I made for my mom's birthday a few years ago. I sort of wish I hadn't fallen into the rabbit hole of knitting quite so far, because I did enjoy quilting.


Then I found the July Spinning Challenge on Ravelry, and decided to do Marjoram Spice. I know I showed it on the spindle, but here's the finished product spun up. It's 80% merino/20% silk, and it spun into such a fine weight yarn that it gives me pause. I want to knit cabled fingerless gloves with it, so I'll see if it blooms any when I wash it. Otherwise, I'll be on teeny little needles. I really like this yarn, though. It's pretty and soft, too soft for socks, but I'd spin it again in an instant. Maybe next weekend, at the Fiber Festival, I'll see some more of this mix and snap it up.


And last in the pic pirade, but never least, my Skull Hat, off the needles and ready to be blocked. Well, it's been off the needles for at least a week, so we'll see when the blocking thing happens. But I like this pattern. It's knit with Plassard yarn, a DK weight, with size 8 needles. I thought it would be too loose, but the ear band is doubled, and it fits just right. Love it. Into the gift closet it goes.

Now work with me here, kay? For an instant there, it was Friday, and now it can be Saturday again. Thank you. I knew you'd understand.

6 comments:

AR said...

Awesome job on everything, Carrie! Your yarn is beautious, and the quilt, wow, plus you know how we love skulls around here!! Are you sure the oldest girl of yours isn't going to steal that hat? I think she's starting to really like cool skulls! You'll have to stear me toward that pattern once I finish the speed knitting that I should be doing right now. Ugh deadlines!

Rachel said...

Wow--it all looks fabulous. Beautiful spinning (I really like the color of the silk blend on the bottom!), beautiful quilt, and very cool skull cap. And I agree with AR...looks like maybe your daughter wants that hat!

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned, it can be Friday night right now and we can do Saturday again.

That quilt is really beautiful, I hope you drop back into it from time to time! But the spinning looks fabulous. Can't wait to see cabled gloves from it.

You could wet block the hat on your daughter's noggin.......it's just a time saving thought....

sheep#100 said...

Love that quilt! LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Nice spinning there. That quilt is beautiful.
The hat looks nice and cozy.

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

They all look great! I especially love the blue merino.