Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finished Object Friday Saturday

Due to my weak router, which apparently can't pick up my computer's signal if I move the computer two inches to the left, I now bring you yesterday's post:

And it's actually Friday! I've been busy this week, as has probably every one of you, what with summer, and gardening, and the general crazy-inducing effect of life. (That's not just me, right?) This week, my girlfriend Mel took Arleta and I cherry picking! I've never done this before, but I was keen on it. I had actually never seen how cherries grew in clusters. I thought they only grew two to a stem, like you see in pretty pictures. Well, they still take a very pretty picture, even when stemless:


Aren't those just about beautiful? Then it was on to cleaning, pitting and freezing them, a most enjoyable task if it's a windy summer day, so the bugs can't bother you too fiercely. They couldn't believe their luck at having cherries brought to them, so I had to work quickly. Earlier that day, I decided to try my hand at turning a batt into roving. This again was something I had never tried before, and I've only begun to read about it online. I thought it worked out just fine, even if I did break it in a spot or two:


And last but never least, the Chipmunk socks are done! They're a feather-and-fan pattern, but a chipmunk got into them while we were camping, and I could no longer call them The Camping Socks, so The Chipmunk Socks they are. They were done with Opal sock yarn, I believe, with 72 stitches on size 1 needles. I've been having troubles with gauge this summer. For some reason, I am knitting socks so tightly that I can't get them on my feet. These didn't even fit my oldest daughter, who thought she was going to get them, and yet another pair of socks goes to the eight-year-old. She walks around smiling, wearing twenty dollar socks. Grrr.


And now I'm off to do my pushups! I'm going to do them while the husband is off picking my oldest daughter up from camp. I'll look properly superior when he gets back, and he need never know how easy it wasn't.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm - cherries! I got some at the farmer's market last weekend and they were SO good. What are those ones at the bottom? The white ones? I've never seen such a thing. But you can definitely give me Ranier/Queen Anne over the red ones any day.

Rachel said...

I'm about to get a huge amount of sweet cherries from a lady in town. I'm going to just sit and stuff my face with them for awhile, but what can you do with frozen cherries? I thought about freezing them, but wasn't for sure what you can do with them after that point. Any advice, I'd welcome!

Did you anger the knitting gauge goddess or something?

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

All three accomplishments are quite impressive. :) I don't think I've ever picked cherries... yum!

Anonymous said...

The socks are cute! You're just being sweet to your daughter. (Go up a needle size. Those push ups must be affecting your gauge and you're knitting more tightly. Right?)

Anonymous said...

Those cherries look delicious! Yum.

That is one lucky 8 year-old, lol.

Don't beat up anyone with your new super strong arms.

Jennifer said...

Oooo, Cherry picking! Those look so yummy.

lobstah said...

Oh man, all those different kinds of cherries look so mouth-watering!

I am intrigued by the 100 pushups thing. I may play along with you!