Thursday, January 15, 2009

So Many Pretty Things

I've been in knitting limbo for months! Working nights, trying to make dinner at least twice a week... these are the challenges I'm striving to meet. So knitting has taken a back seat. I'm working on a pretty purse for my mom, which I gave her on the needles at Christmas, poor woman. (I'm on the straps. Getting there) And I lost the purse for two days, so I couldn't work on it while my kids have been sick. (Cobbler rule #46: No coughing on mom) Today I decided to tackle the pile of clean laundry waiting to be folded, and boy do I wish I'd taken a picture. Because there, at the bottom, where the socks hang out, was the purse. Yay! Now that I've located both the purse and the pattern, I can get back to it.

But the point I was trying to write about was, as I was folding the laundry, I got to look at sweaters, and hand-sewn towels, and dishcloths, and I got to missing making pretty things. I want to cast on everything at once, and I can't do any of it. There are costumes to be sewn for drama club, the purse to finish, and a pair of slippers as a Christmas gift that I'm only halfway finished with. And I miss my spinning, which has been catching my eye every time I walk by it on the bookshelf. While looking for a box of clothes the other day, I happened upon an entire box of roving just waiting to be handled. Yikes! I have a sweater that I started for myself last fall, and socks that I wanted to give my daughter for the holiday. (Cobbler rule #47: Don't knit socks with the purls on the outside. Who likes to purl that much??)

But as I ease back into blogland, I'm enjoying looking at your pretty things, and getting back into Ravelry to look around at what's out there. Why, oh why, won't people pay us to knit?

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's important to work on creative things with our hands too. I hope you get some time to play with craft soon!

LaurieM said...

Ah. Thanks for the link.

Since the shawl, I'm in gift knitting limbo too. January stole my mojo. How's the job treating you?

AR said...

I need to post, and read some blogs! We missed you on Wednesday at knitting, but we looooove your donuts. mmmmmmm All I've been doing is knitting, and being poor. Hope you find time to knit and spin soon, cuz you rock at it!!

Anonymous said...

I know, I've been doing the same thing. Sigh. Too bad sample knitting isn't a 6-figure job!

Cindy Larson said...

You are a very strong resourceful person and I knoe You will find some you time. I've been there and I know it's hard but it is also possible! :)

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you back :) I'm trying to get back into blogging and reading blogs after a roller coaster year. I picked up my knitting after years away because it was something I could carry with me and do little bits here and there when life was crazy. I hope things settle down for you soon!

Maybe I should go look under my pile of laundry for a few missing things here...

Clea Stagnitti said...

Hope you find some time for yourself soon. And yeah, how come they don't pay us to knit? I haven't figured out that job yet.

Tala said...

Sorry to hear you're out of knitting time - I know how much that stinks! We added a new addition to the family in late October (check him out on my blog!) and I wasn't able to knit for awhile, or card fiber, or anything because he's a Velcro-baby, but he's starting to entertain himself better, so I've gotten some things done - it keeps us sane, huh?!

Glad to hear hubby found a new job he likes - losing a job at any time is scary, but even worse in this economy!