Sunday, April 27, 2008

Now back to our previously scheduled program...

That's what it feels like, anyway. Drama club is officially finished - phew! I can't even pretend that teaching drama to 20 11-year-olds isn't work. I'm not even sure if they were learning anything, because keeping that many kids focused is a feat in itself. It was good, though, and the play went smoothly. The kids were so excited and proud when they were done, we were all high-fiving each other after the curtains closed. Here's some pics:


Sea monster and pirate, scared pirates in background, in case sea monster decides to munch them.


A stream of pirates getting abducted on their way to an island.


Fairy costume (remember the last minute four-inch correction?), fairy in action, in a neat play called Sibling Switch.


And finally, the entire class, at least at the end of the year, except for some that were out with the flu. That was unfortunate, since they put in all the time, but got sick just at production time. We also lost some kids halfway through, because darn it, seven months is a long time to be in a drama club. Next year, I'm going to try to meet twice a week for half the length of time. That way, we might get less kids signing up, due to other commitments, and I'm sure it would be easier to each, say, eight kids instead of twenty to thirty. I have to say, though, that it feels really good to have kids looking forward to joining our drama club. My husband and I are fairly new at this, and I'm glad we're not bombing out with the kids.

I'm spinning some more sock wool for a friend, and it's going really fast! I can't locate my camera right now, but suffice it to say that I shall be making my own Lazy Kate very soon. I was going to wait until I could figure out how to put tension on the spools, but I think I'll just make one with a shoe box and some dowels. Anything would beat trying to spin off of two spindles onto a third...

I'm also ready to start some beaded socks, but my beads are too small for my darning needle to go through. How do you thread the beads on? Can anyone help? They're not seed beads, but I don't know exactly what size they are. It just seems like the hole is about as big as worsted weight yarn, so they seem appropriate. I'll welcome any and all advice!

7 comments:

LaurieM said...

Knitty's got your answer for the bead question. http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATseducedbybeads.html

Congrats to you and your drama club! On another year well done.

Anonymous said...

I'm learning all about beads for Slow Bee Mystery...there are a bunch of different ways people have discovered to get those pesky little beads on. I will be using the crochet hook method for my shawl to avoid damaging the thin yarn by pre-stringing too many beads over it, but I think in most other cases I would pre-string them using a small crochet hook, dental floss threader or a beading needle. It's fun. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad it went well! What a cute group.

Get yourself a "Big-Eye" needle. It works really well for stringing seed beads.

AR said...

The play was great. Lil AR was very impressed, and can't wait until she's old enough next year.

Too bad you couldn't find the camera, that yarn you're making is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

You & your hubby did an awesome job with all those kids ! You 2 sure have a lot more patience than most(me!)I know myn is looking forward to next years Drama class !

Anonymous said...

The big eye needle is really easy to string beads with. I've got to finish my pair. Some day.

Yay for the play! And that you all had fun. Twice the nights in half the time sounds like a good plan. Even if you get the same amount of kids, it should be easier to focus them on a limited if slightly more intense basis. Henry V next year? :)

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You are so great to have done the drama club! I am sure the kids got a lot out of it and from the pics, it looks rather professional!